Meatless Monday’s don’t have to be boring with this very tasty Pesto and Vegetable Cannelloni!
This family favourite is a great way to get kids to eat vegetables they would probably screw their nose up to.
This recipe makes enough filling for 16 Cannelloni tubes.
LUSCIOUS PESTO AND VEGETABLE CANNELLONI
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 handful of baby spinach leaves
1 can of chick peas, drained
2 tablespoons of basil pesto
1 500ml bottle of tomato pasta sauce
1 quantity of cheese sauce or 1 cup of grated cheese.
– Preheat oven to 180C.
– Place the carrots and sweet potato into a large microwave safe container and add 1/4 cup of water. Cover and cook on high for 5 minutes.
– Drain off the water, add the baby spinach and cover for 10 minutes. (This will allow the spinach to wilt without cooking it)
– Add the drained chick peas and basil pesto.
– Season with salt and pepper.
– Use a stab blender to mix and chop all the ingredients until relatively smooth.
– The easiest way to fill the cannelloni shells is to use a piping bag. If you don’t have a piping bag, use two freezer bags (one inside the other), cut a small hole in one corner and fill.
The trick to successfully filling cannelloni shells is to hold the freezer bag close to the tube and push small amounts in at a time.
I have a piping bag, but I hate cleaning it, so the freezer bag method is my favourite, when you have finished you just throw it in the bin!
– Arrange the cannelloni shells in a single layer into a baking tray, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
– Pour the tomato pasta sauce over the cannelloni and spread evenly over the top.
– Pour cheese sauce over the prepared cannelloni or sprinkle with grated cheese.
– Place in the oven and bake for approximately 45 minutes. Check with a skewer to make sure the pasta is soft before serving.
– Garnish with some fresh greens, or a tossed green salad.
You can also use this vegetable mix to make lasagne instead of cannelloni. Simply pour a little of the tomato pasta sauce into the bottom of the baking dish, add a layer of lasagne sheets, followed by 1/3 of the vegetable mixture. Repeat twice more. Top with cheese sauce. Sprinkle a little extra grated cheese or parmesan and bake for 45 minutes.
What is your favourite vegetarian meal?
Sharing for #IBOT with Essentially Jess